Learning is a lifelong effort. "Consider a language ... language serves to describe a combination of colored squares on a surface. The squares form a complex like a chessboard. There are red, green, white and black squares. The words of the language are 'red', 'green', 'white', 'black', and a sentence is a series of these words. They describe an arrangement of squares in an order." -- Ludwig Wittgenstein, philosopher (20th century)

The Flatmates episode 36 (including Video/Vocabulary)



Episode 36: Test results
John: How did you do in the economics test Helen?
Helen: I failed miserably.
John: Oh poor you! I got 98%. Didn't want to get a perfect score. Might have looked a bit suspicious, given me recent track record. Bet you wished you'd sneaked a peek at the answers when you had your chance.
Helen: Oh I don't ...
John: You're a fool! It was the easiest bit of photocopying I've ever done.
Prof. Lewis: John, Helen hello!
John: Oh good morning Professor Lewis. I was just saying how much I've been enjoying your lectures recently.
Prof. Lewis: Oh really? Helen, I think it's about time we had a little chat, don't you? Come to my office later and make an appointment, OK?

Vocabulary:
economics (noun) - a science concerned with the process or system by which goods and services are produced, sold, and bought

miserably (adverb) - very poor in condition or quality,  very bad

perfect (adjective) - having no mistakes or flaws, completely correct or accurate

suspicious (adjective) - causing a feeling that something is wrong or that someone is behaving wrongly, causing suspicion, having or showing a feeling that something is wrong or that someone is behaving wrongly

track record (noun) -  a record of actual performance or accomplishment

 to sneak a peek (British phrase) - to tell someone (such as a parent or teacher) about something wrong that someone else has done, to look at something quickly and secretly or furtively

 to photocopy (verb) -to make a photographic reproduction of (printed or graphic material), especially by xerography

xerography (noun) - a dry photographic or photocopying process in which a negative image formed by a resinous powder on an electrically charged plate is electrically transferred to and thermally fixed as positive on a paper or other copying surface.

me recent track record (phrase) - my performance or achievements in the last few months or years (note in some regional accents 'me' is used instead of 'my')

No comments: