Learning is a lifelong effort. "Consider a language ... language serves to describe a combination of colored squares on a surface. The squares form a complex like a chessboard. There are red, green, white and black squares. The words of the language are 'red', 'green', 'white', 'black', and a sentence is a series of these words. They describe an arrangement of squares in an order." -- Ludwig Wittgenstein, philosopher (20th century)

The Flatmates episode 43 (including Video/Vocabulary)


Episode 43: Exam revision
Michal: Oh dear I have my exam today. I'm really worried. Helen, will you practise with me please?
Helen: You must be joking!
Michal: Alice?
Alice: Oh Michal, you know I'm just back from a night-shift. I'm exhausted, sorry.
Tim: Don't worry mate, you'll be all right. Just relax, be yourself.
Michal: But I did very bad in my practice test last week.
Helen: I told you Michal, it's important to revise for exams but you went out every night this week.
Michal: Yes I know but it's a speaking exam so I had to talk to people. Won't anyone help me? Thanks Bronka, that's a big help!

Vocabulary:
 revision (noun) - British: study of information that was studied before, a change or a set of changes that corrects or improves something

 exam short for examination (noun) -the act of looking at something closely and carefully, a test to show a person's progress, knowledge, or ability

to revise for exams (phrase)  - to do special preparation for an exam, when you look back at your earlier work

practise or practice    (verb) - to do something again and again in order to become better at it

joking   (verb) - to say things that are meant to cause laughter, to make jokes about someone or something

you must be joking (verb phrase) - (you must be kidding), what you say is very surprising or hard to believe

a night-shift (noun) - a period of work that takes place during the night

to be exhausted ( adjective) -  to use all of someone's mental or physical energy, to tire out or wear out (someone) completely

mate (noun) - British: a friend

No comments: