Learning is a lifelong effort. "Consider a language ... language serves to describe a combination of colored squares on a surface. The squares form a complex like a chessboard. There are red, green, white and black squares. The words of the language are 'red', 'green', 'white', 'black', and a sentence is a series of these words. They describe an arrangement of squares in an order." -- Ludwig Wittgenstein, philosopher (20th century)

The Flatmates episode 54 (including Video/Vocabulary)


Episode 54: A mother daughter chat
Michal: Helen, this place is enormous!
Helen: It's just a house, don't get so overexcited by it. And promise me you won't treat me differently after this visit.
Mum: Hello! Just drop your bags anywhere dears. Michal, will you get daddy in from the garden? Then we'll all have a nice cup of Chinese tea together.
Michal: Of course.
Mum: Oh Helen, he's adorable! I know I said you were too young for love but that was ages ago and it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind.
Helen: Mum, I think he's the one!
Mum: Oh me too, I watched you two coming up the path and I saw how you looked at him. Do I hear wedding bells?
Helen: Don't say that, you'll jinx us!

Vocabulary:
overexcited  (adjective) -   too excited

excited   (adjective) -    very enthusiastic and eager about something

to  promise (verb) - to tell someone that you will definitely do something or that something will definitely happen in the future

to treat (verb) -  to deal with or think about (something) especially in a particular way

adorable  (adjective) - very appealing or attractive, very lovable

ages ago  (noun) - a long time ago

prerogative (noun) - a right or privilege, a special right or privilege that some people have

mind (noun)  - the part of a person that thinks, reasons, feels, and remembers

Do I hear wedding bells? (phrase) - Are you going to get married soon?

to jinx something (idiom) - to cause bad luck or to turn good luck into bad luck 

No comments: