Learning is a lifelong effort. "Consider a language ... language serves to describe a combination of colored squares on a surface. The squares form a complex like a chessboard. There are red, green, white and black squares. The words of the language are 'red', 'green', 'white', 'black', and a sentence is a series of these words. They describe an arrangement of squares in an order." -- Ludwig Wittgenstein, philosopher (20th century)

The Flatmates episode 55 (including Video/Vocabulary)


Episode 55: Fatherly advice
Michal: Hello, I've been sent to take you.
Dad: I can't get a minute's peace around here!
Michal: No wonders you love it here, your garden's beautiful.
Dad: Thank you Michal. Just my luck though, neither Helen nor her mother has green fingers.
Michal: I love gardening!
Dad: I knew I liked you for a reason! Helen's head is filled with love and romance but I am more of a realist. I've built up my business and my garden the same way - years of hard graft. Helen's looking for a handsome husband but I want a hard-working son-in-law. Of course it will be a slog but the rewards are right here for you to see.
Michal: Eh, yeah, it must be time for tea! Let's talk later.

Vocabulary:
fatherly (adjective)  - of a father, resembling a father, showing the affection or concern of a father

resemble (verb) - to look or be like (someone or something)

an  advice (noun) - an opinion or suggestion about what someone should do

I can't get a minute's peace (phrase) - I want some quiet time but people keep interrupting me

green fingers  (British English), a green thumb (American English)  (noun) - an unusual ability to make plants grow

gardening (noun) -  to work in a garden, to take care of the plants in a garden

a realist (noun) - a person who understands what is real and possible in a particular situation, a person who accepts and deals with things as they really are

hard graft (noun) - hard or difficult work

son-in-law (noun) - the husband of your daughter

a slog (noun) - a long period of hard work or effort, a piece of work that is difficult, unpleasant or tiring, a long, difficult walk

a reward (noun) - money or another kind of payment that is given or received for something that has been done or that is offered for something that might be done

No comments: