Learning is a lifelong effort. "Consider a language ... language serves to describe a combination of colored squares on a surface. The squares form a complex like a chessboard. There are red, green, white and black squares. The words of the language are 'red', 'green', 'white', 'black', and a sentence is a series of these words. They describe an arrangement of squares in an order." -- Ludwig Wittgenstein, philosopher (20th century)

The Flatmates episode 15 (including Video/ Vocabulary)



Episode 15: A heart-to-heart
Helen:
Hello?
Alice:
Hi Helen.
Helen:
What's up Alice?
Alice:
It's so quiet at work I thought I'd give you a ring. A little bird told me that the landlord is your dad!
Helen:
How did you find out?
Alice:
Never mind about that. Why have you been keeping it a secret for so long?
Helen:
Well because as soon as people know how rich my parents are, they start treating me differently. When you and Tim came to live here I wanted to start afresh so I decided not to tell anyone.
Alice:
Oh Helen you're such a silly goose! I promise, it won't make any difference to us! So no more secrets OK?
Helen:
OK then.


 Vocabulary:

 What's up? (phr.) - What's up is an informal question meaning, depending on situation and emphasis: "what are you doing", "how are you", "what is happening" or "what gives."

give someone a ring (phr.) - (British)  to make a telephone call to someone, to call someone using a telephone

 a little bird told me (idiom) - If someone doesn't want to say where they got some information from, they can say that a little bird told them.

 never mind (phr.) - it is not important, do not be concerned, or I withdraw my previous statement.

secret (n.) - a fact or piece of information that is kept hidden from other people

 treat (v.) -  to deal with or think about (something) especially in a particular way

afresh  (adv.) - from a new beginning

 to start afresh (phr.) - to begin again, in a new way

a silly goose (phr.) - (informal, affectionate) a foolish person

 promise (v.)  - to tell someone that you will definitely do something or that something will definitely happen in the future

4 comments:

TCYonline said...

Nice way to learn Vocabulary. I have given an Vocabulary test online.Keep posting.. Thank you!!

TP said...

No Addam I haven't!

Unknown said...

http://wesmoore-greenmtn.squarespace.com/blog/2014/3/4/banned-books.html

Unknown said...

http://wesmoore-greenmtn.squarespace.com/blog/2014/3/4/banned-books.html