Learning is a lifelong effort. "Consider a language ... language serves to describe a combination of colored squares on a surface. The squares form a complex like a chessboard. There are red, green, white and black squares. The words of the language are 'red', 'green', 'white', 'black', and a sentence is a series of these words. They describe an arrangement of squares in an order." -- Ludwig Wittgenstein, philosopher (20th century)

The Pleasure of Being a Teacher

Just recently I ran into one of my former students. He was in one of my first classes I had taught at J.R. American School.

I had just gotten onto a bus and had sat down, when suddenly a young man next to me asked me, if I would still remember him.

Although, I was not able to recall his name, I noticed a familiarity. (It isn’t easy to recognize a high school student you had taught when he was still in elementary school.) Nonetheless, it was a pleasure to discover that he still remembered me and to hear that he had done well since he had left our school. He had done so well, that he is now preparing to take the entrance exam to the National Taiwanese University.

This episode reminded me again that my work as teacher will affect the life of my students. Being able to influence the life of others in a positive way give me great pleasure! It gives me furthermore the energy to strive to become a better teacher and friend.

No comments: