Learning is a lifelong effort. "Consider a language ... language serves to describe a combination of colored squares on a surface. The squares form a complex like a chessboard. There are red, green, white and black squares. The words of the language are 'red', 'green', 'white', 'black', and a sentence is a series of these words. They describe an arrangement of squares in an order." -- Ludwig Wittgenstein, philosopher (20th century)

EL CONDOR PASA (IF I COULD)


(Unable to find a Video with Simon & Garfunkel, I chose this version on this blog)

EL CONDOR PASA (IF I COULD)

(Version by Simon & Garfunkel)

I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail
Yes I would, if I could, I surely would
I'd rather be a hammer than a nail
Yes I would, if I only could, I surely would

Away, I'd rather sail away
Like a swan that's here and gone
A man gets tied up to the ground
He gives the world its saddest sound
Its saddest sound

I'd rather be a forest than a street
Yes I would, if I could, I surely would
I'd rather feel the earth beneath my feet
Yes I would, if I only could, I surely would.


Story about El Cóndor Pasa

El Cóndor Pasa (The Condor Goes by) is originally a Peruvian zarzuela [θarθwela], or musical play. The song was composed and written by the Peruvian composer Daniel Alomía Robles in 1913, based on traditional Andean folk tunes.

The song the became best-known Peruvian song worldwide due to a cover version by Simon & Garfunkel (who composed new lyrics for the melody) in 1970 on their Bridge Over Troubled Water album, which is called El Condor Pasa (If I Could).

The originally story deals with a tragic conflict between Indians who worked in a lead mine in Cerro de Pasco, Peru and their European bosses. The condor of the title symbolizes the ideal of freedom.

The originally words were written in Quechua, the language of the old Inca kingdom of Machu Picchu., which is still spoken by the indigenous people of Peru.

The Andean Condor is actually a vulture. It was associated with the sun god, and was believed to be the ruler of the upper world. The Andean Condor is considered a symbol of power and health by many Andean cultures. Consequently, the Andean Condor has become a national symbol of Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru.

The Andes form the world's longest exposed mountain range. The Andes lie as a continuous chain of highland along the western coast of South America and extend over seven countries: Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Trinidad, and Venezuela, some of which are known as Andean States. The range of the Andes is over 7,000 km long, 200-700 km wide and of an average height of about 4,000 m. The Andes include he highest mountain outside Asia named Cerro Aconcagua with 6,960 m in Argentina in the province of Mendoza.


No comments: