Learning is a lifelong effort. "Consider a language ... language serves to describe a combination of colored squares on a surface. The squares form a complex like a chessboard. There are red, green, white and black squares. The words of the language are 'red', 'green', 'white', 'black', and a sentence is a series of these words. They describe an arrangement of squares in an order." -- Ludwig Wittgenstein, philosopher (20th century)

To be polite and how to say sorry...

Being polite and how to say sorry for something you've done wrong is one of the important phrases you should learn in any language. This way you avoid to be seen as rude or arrogant.

You may have heard the term to apologize in one or another way. To apologize simply means to say sorry, to ask for forgiveness, to express regret. So it’s not a magical word.

If you want to emphasize how you feel when you apologize, you may say “I'm really sorry...” or “I'm so sorry...” For example, “I'm really sorry, Pete, I didn't mean to say that.” Or “I'm so sorry I forgot your birthday, Frank!”

If you want to say why you're sorry, you may say “Sorry about...” or “Sorry for...” For example, “Sorry about being late. I lost track of time” or “Sorry for not telling you about being late earlier.”

You don’t have to use the phrase "I am sorry" but could simple say “I'd like to apologize for...” For example, “I'd like to apologize for not telling you about being late earlier.”

To accept an apology you may simply reply, That's OK.”, “No problem.”, “Don’t worry about it.”,” Don’t mention it.” Etc.

So be polite at any time!

No comments: