Learning is a lifelong effort. "Consider a language ... language serves to describe a combination of colored squares on a surface. The squares form a complex like a chessboard. There are red, green, white and black squares. The words of the language are 'red', 'green', 'white', 'black', and a sentence is a series of these words. They describe an arrangement of squares in an order." -- Ludwig Wittgenstein, philosopher (20th century)

The Flatmates episode 25 (including Video/Vocabulary)



Episode 25: Fast food
Alice:
Ooh, what's that smell? Do I detect cheeseburger and fries? Michal, you disappoint me. What happened to all your resolve at New Year?
Michal:
I'm trying to give up fast food but it's just so easy and cheap. I'm really beginning to run out of money so I can't afford better food and I'm really missing my mum's cooking and I don't know how to cook the way she does and I miss my friends and I don't have a job.
Alice:
Oh Michal, don't cry. Come here pet, let me give you a hug.
Helen:
Michal! Alice! What the hell do think you're doing?


Vocabulary:

smell (noun) - the quality of a thing that you can sense with your nose

detect (verb) - to discover or notice the presence of (something that is hidden or hard to see, hear, taste, etc.)

cheeseburger (noun) - a hamburger with a piece of cheese on top of the meat

fries (noun) - another name for French fried potatoes or french fries

french fries (noun) - Strips of potatoes, usually cut with a rectangular cross-section, cooked by immersing in hot fat or oil

disappoint (verb) - to make (someone) unhappy by not being as good as expected or by not doing something that was hoped for or expected

to give up (verb) - to stop having, doing, or using

fast food (noun) - food that is prepared and served quickly, food from a restaurant that makes and serves food very quickly

cheap (adjective) - not costing a lot of money,charging low prices

to run out of something (idiom) - to not have any more of something

to afford  (verb) - to be able to pay for (something)

pet (adjective) term of endearment. If people know each other very well or if one person is much older than the other one, they might address each other informally using pet, love, dear or hen 

hug (noun) - the act of putting your arms around someone or something as a way of showing love or friendship

No comments: