Learning is a lifelong effort. "Consider a language ... language serves to describe a combination of colored squares on a surface. The squares form a complex like a chessboard. There are red, green, white and black squares. The words of the language are 'red', 'green', 'white', 'black', and a sentence is a series of these words. They describe an arrangement of squares in an order." -- Ludwig Wittgenstein, philosopher (20th century)

The Flatmates episode 27 (including Video/Vocabulary)



Episode 27: The hungry cat
Tim: I don't believe it! Kitty's just eaten my dinner. I was putting the kettle on and I turned round and there she was, eating my chicken. That cat's a pain in the neck.
Alice: Oh calm down.
Tim: It drives me mad! I'm starving, I've been slaving away in that dusty old stockroom all day. I hate work just now and then this happens! The cat's got to go or be put down.
Helen: Don't be horrible. You can buy something else to eat.
Tim: We're not all as rich as you, you know, daddy's girl!
Helen: How dare you Tim! I didn't eat your chicken. You drive me up the wall sometimes.
Alice: Hey guys, chill out.



Vocabulary:
believe (verb) - to accept or regard (something) as true,  to accept the truth of what is said by (someone)

I don't believe it (phrase) - used for emphasis in phrases that express certainty, surprise, annoyance, etc.

kettle (noun) - a container used for heating or boiling liquid such as water

turn around and (do something) (phrase) - to act in an unexpected or surprising way by doing (something specified)

It's a pain in the neck (idiom) - It's very annoying

calm down (verb) - o become or to cause (someone) to become less upset, emotional, excited, etc.

horrible (adjective) -  causing horror, very shocking and upsetting, very bad or unpleasant

drive (someone) mad (phrase) - to cause (someone) to become mentally ill,  to annoy or bother (someone) very much

I'm starving  (phrase) - I'm very hungry

slave (verb) - to work very hard

dusty (adjective) - filled or covered with dust

stockroom (noun) - a storage area for the supplies and goods that are used or sold in a business

got to go (phrase) - have to go, to be given up, thrown away, etc.

to put an animal down  (idiom) - to kill an animal, usually because it is old or ill

a daddy's girl (idiom) - A woman who isn't independent but is spoilt and looked after by her father (or other father-like figure)

how dare you (phrase)  - used in speech to show that you are angry about what someone has done or said

drive (someone) up a/the wall (idiom) - to make (someone) irritated, angry, or crazy

chill out (idiom) - to relax, esp after energetic dancing or a spell of hard work


No comments: